Undergraduate Academic Program Information
Computer Science Degree Programs
The Department of Computer and Information Science, an academic unit of the School of Engineering, offers two undergraduate degree programs in computer science:
- Through the School of Engineering, we offer the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (BSCS) degree. This is an ABET/CAC-accredited professional degree in computer science.
- Through the College of Liberal Arts, we offer a major in computer science within the Bachelor of the Arts (BA) degree program.
Beginning Fall 2020, an optional emphasis will be available for the BSCS degree. Initially, two emphases will be offered:
- Computer Security
- Data Science
To earn an emphasis, a student must fulfill 15 hours of CSci 300+ electives. Note that a student may earn at most ONE emphasis on the BSCS degree.
Computer Science Minor
In addition to the two degree programs, the Department has also defined a minor in computer science that is available to BA students with any major (except computer science) and to students in some other degree programs with optional or required minors. This minor consists of CSci 111, CSci 112, CSci 211, CSci 223, and six additional hours of computer science courses at the 200-level or above.
An optional minor in computer science is available to the civil, chemical, electrical, geological, and mechanical engineering students, except to students in the computer engineering emphasis within the BSEE program.
- How does one apply for admission and financial aid?
- What does SACS and ABET accreditation mean?
- How do the BSCS and BA programs differ?
- What other computer-related degrees are offered at Ole Miss?
- What are the advantages of an Ole Miss computer science education?
- What if one wants to transfer from another institution to study computer science at Ole Miss?
- Do the computer science programs require (or allow) a minor?
- What if one already has a bachelor's degree in another field?
- What if one has more questions?
Prospective students, current students, and their advisors may find the following information useful in their planning:
- Computer Science course schedules
- Computer Science course prerequisite flowchart
- Computer Science catalog course descriptions
- Computer Science ABET/CAC-style course descriptions
- Mississippi Community College transfer guide for the BSCS program
- University-wide undergraduate catalogs
- Current BSCS degree 4-year plan of study
- Current BSCS completion checklist
- Previous BSCS 4-year plans of study and checklists